Tuesday, November 22, 2016

SOS279: warm and fuzzy

there are a few ways to go with this week's challenge at shopping our stash. when we say "warm and fuzzy" you could pretty much incorporate anything from a fireplace, to a cosy sweater (ugly or not, lol), a cup of hot chocolate, even warm hats, scarves or mittens. like these:
 
plaid pattern painted with chartreuse, terre vert and olive green color burst on strathmore watercolor paper, outlined with a faber-castell pitt artist pen (XS nib); mitten shape achieved by printing out a piece of mitten clipart sized for a 4x6" photo and using it to cut out the 2 mittens, back to back; traditional patterned paper: studio calico, crate paper, my mind's eye, american crafts; sentiment strip (trimmed from a journal card): lawn fawn; old skool, out of print letter stickers that are still my ALL TIME favorite alphabet: basic grey; ink: colorbox; felt and vintage buttons from my stash; adhesives: elmers brand tape runner, 3m foam tape, gluedots, needle and thread (for the tiny buttons) sewing machine

if you're on instagram, you might've seen this photo last week, i was painting plaid patterns using all my favorite shades of green and blue colorburst:


i'd been thinking they'd be good backgrounds for xmas cards, but then i had the mitten idea, so i printed out a piece of clip art and used it as a template. then i added a little bit of felt trim, a connecting string* made of yarn, and a couple of tiny vintage buttons.


then i looked for an AWESOME sketch, and found one at fusion card challenge. btw, i thank the lovely fusion ladies for the shout-out on my tiny stickers card from last week!


check out the warm, fuzzy creations from my amazing DT colleagues at SOS, it's totally worth the trip, i assure you! :)

*neatly gluing down that 6" piece of yarn was by far the most difficult and time-consuming part of the entire card. true story. :0

10 comments:

  1. This card is adorable! I love your card making style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute card, love the plaids and those mittens are adorable. Awesome job for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the shout out! YOur card definitely evokes feeling of warmth! SO sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lauren, thanks so much for your enthusiastic comment on my blog - you made my day!!! Your card is so cute - love those little felt accents! And your background paper - hard to believe you made it yourself - it looks awesome! I was just looking at your blog picture and thought it looks like you are in NYC and then I saw you are a Jersey girl, just like me....do mind me asking you where exactly you live? Who knows, we could be neighbors....

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi lauren, i saw your card while looking for challenges to play along with. i love this card! the mittens are so cute and i love your watercolour plaid paper! i painted some last week but i used a bigger brush, so you've given me an idea of how to work smaller - thanks! mine also looks more wonky. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a gorgeous "warm" winter card, I just love it. What a great idea. Love the papers you made and this warm is vintage style to me.
    Thanks for stopping on by to mine, I do appreciate it. Have a happy Thanksgiving holiday to you and yours.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lauren, I wish I had those mittens to wear, they look so warm and so beautiful, love the tiny buttons and the fussy trim and hearts.
    I'm amazed at those plaid papers you created, before I read your post, I thought they were bought.
    Beautiful card, my dear.
    Have a beautiful Thanksgiving Day!!
    XO
    Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! I did see your panels on Insta... love how you put one to use-- and so clever to cut the mittens back-to-back! Look forward to seeing the other panels in use!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your plaid mittens are fabulous and so adorable! Great take on the sketch! Thanks so much for joining us at Fusion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your mittens are absolutely adorable and even more remarkable since you made your own plaid paper. <<...bowing down, not worthy...>>

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~